Monday, October 4, 2010

So good I'll take another

I lay down in my tent, which is shielded nicely by the wind, and fall asleep to the sound of waves crashing. I sleep like a rock! I'm really greatful for my mattress pad and sleeping bag somebody talked me into buying before I left. I wanna snap the sunrise but I don't get out of my comfy little camp in time. 

I plan on leaving today but after talking to David a couchsurfer from taiwain staying at the house he helps me realize when you dint have a schedule you should take advantage of a good thing. There is then talk over breakfast about sailing and snorkeling today. I'm convinced! I'm staying another day. David , a 6 time triathalonist) is traveling with his family (5 people from taiwan) they are staying at the house for 2 weeks. The host, Terry is one incredible guy. 

I walk next door after breakfast to the mc clarity treasure museum. And check this out....in 1715 11 Spanish ships containing a tremendous amount of treasure perished in a hurricane 70 miles of the coast of where we are. People have been finding various treasure wash up on the beach as recent as 5 months ago!!!   This is real people!! I see photographs of items recovered and it's the most intricate, detailed, beautiful various gold and silver pieces. People scour the beach after a storm and hit the lottery! I get done at the museum and hit the drift edge in the sand. This is so exciting it's thrilling. I find some cool rocks and a jaw of some animal but no treasure today. Reality is though to the north of me there is 1 mile of forest and nobody ever comes down and checks this area, but they say treasure can be as far as 12' deep in the sand by now. What an interesting experience.

I come back and Stephanie on of the guests who is preparing for a marathon prepares a wonderful lunch for us all. I get to partake because I'm the newest guest. Yum!

Tomorrow I ride again! Only 66 miles south to dickenson state park. From there I'm only 90 miles from Miami. I booked a hostel in Miami for Friday and Saturday and I'm happy to find out Julia from pine island will be joining me for a road trip to Miami. We are staying right on south beach for 18$ a night.

Me and David take a nice 15mile ride around the neighborhood on terry's bikes. We chat about our likes in jazz music and I ask him questions about his experience completing 6 ironmans!! We get back in time to see the sunset. Sit in the jacuzzi and watch the sunset on the front deck. Somebody snaps a picture of us that is worth a thousand dollars. It's us in the hot tub with the sun setting behind us! We get out and dinner is prepared. Great food great people, great spirits, great conversation, great laughter, all with one 55 year old Florida park ranger, and 5 people from tawain whom I just met this morning!! Wow incredible!

After dinner we play U2 and dance foolishly. Then we go out to the bay to see the illuminescent bacteria in the water. So when you go in and splash around under the surface of the water you see what looks like sparks everywhere under water. It's amazing and it keeps our attention for 20 minutes. Then we look up at the amazing stars spread out in our galaxy and even get a glimpse at Jupiter the brightest looking star right now. 

I decide to crash inside tonight on the couch. Why not it's free, and I'll be tenting it tomorrow night. In the morning we will drink coffee and watch the sunrise. Then eat some toast with homemade seagrape jelly. Then it's kayak time. I figure I'll leave right after lunch time and get my 66 miles in before dusk. Nite 

No comments:

Post a Comment