Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bahia Honda

What an amazing day! I get up at 6am pack up and out by 6:30, thanks key largo for letting me borrow a campsite. 1 mile up the road I get to the state park. It's closed and not open till 8:00!? I think about jumping the fence but it's high and if I do I would have to manage to not be seen for 1.5 hours, nah too risky no thanks! I wait outfront. Grab a pumpkin latte and a protein bar from a gas station and watch the morning sun light up the place. 

It's kind of breezy and a bit chilly if your a Floridian like me now. The original plan was snorkeling but I remember Miguel from Miami telling me about the glass bottom boat! The boat is 10$ cheaper and I decide to try it. I've been snorkeling before but have never even heard of a glass bottom boat! Again it was definitely the right decision. I kill an hour in the park before the boat leaves by looking for the enormous iguana ibsaw the day before but no luck. The boat adventure was so amazing and sure enough there were two glass bottom wells and the water was crystal clear!! We could see everything! Amazing colored coral, fish, sea floor it was quite impressive. We rode about 40mins out to molasses reef, the 3rd biggest reef in the world! This was in the top 12 coolest things I've done in my entire life!

I ask the captain where is a good lunch spot and he stears me in the right direction. Mrs macs it is, this place is a local spot and it's amazing I get a hog fish wrap and damn it's good! Too bad I couldn't fit any key lime pie

Back on the horse 70 miles to go to Bahia Honda. The ride is sweet with bike paths and shoulders the whole way. I see aqua blue and green water on both sides of me. I just start to get a little ansy though and want to be there already. The air was still which was not what I was expecting but the ride still took me 6 hours for some reason, I'm getting slow and worn out I think!

Anyway I snap tons if pics and finally arrive in time for sunset. I gotta tell ya it's the most dramatic picturesque sunset ever! Wait till you see the pic of the bridge with the sun setting behind it. There is an old train tressel they left up for people to walk up and view the sunset. We saw sharks swimming in the water below!!! First time for that too. This place is amazing and almost nicer than Sebastian inlet! There is a wedding going on at the waters edge and I can't believe the beauty I'm seeing what a backdrop.

I make my way over to camp take a hot shower and set up. I meet my neighbors from venezuala and they offer me food and cake for their daughters birthday! Sold I'll take seconds I say!..haha.  What an amazing experience here at Bahia Honda never disappointed this while trip it just keeps getting better.

Tomorrow I'll check out the beach then hit the road 40 miles to key west and it's all over!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment