Sunday, October 17, 2010

End of the rode

Up at 6am again today, I'm now used to getting up at that time. I'm like a little kid at christmas looking forward to the gorgeous sunrises! I pack up and head to the beach. I find really warm water and shades of color in the sky I've never seen before! Nobody is there I walk the beach in peace, do some yoga stretch out. It's going to be an amazing day! 

I find a slow leak in my tire but I'm hoping to just keep pumping it until I get to key west. I also found a broken spoke but it's not too bad I just loosened up my brake cable so the wheel doesn't rub. I'll get the tube replaced when I get the spoke replaced, sometime next month in Philly! I just double checked my distance and it's only 35 miles from here, what a breeze! I can't believe it's going to come to an end today. I'm kind of excited for it!!

So I ride through my final leg of the journey. It's a remarkable ride with aqua blue/green water on both sides. Looking out occasionally and spotting sea turtles coming up for air. Halfway I find a donut and coffee stop. I need to take in some calories.  I find the wind pretty still with a slight breeze against my back. As the miles count down to 20, 17, 10, 6, 5,...I find myself in key west. I arrive to the hostel and unpack.

I find a big man sleeping inside the room, hairy as a bear with his shirt off. He mumbles at me to sleep in the back room because he snores. Ok thanks I say...haha. This hostel is one of the crummiest I've ever been at and it's 40$ a night. I hit shower and change, then hit the bricks in search of what key west has to offer.  I find overpriced food, crowded trashy tourists, rude European staff everywhere, and really am kinda let down. I do find slamming key lime pie on a stick though. I walk the whole town and head back to the hostel.

I talk to bear and ask him about the local hangouts. That's what I'm after forget the crappy touristy shit. I didn't ride this far to see tourists, I want the local flavor. He recommends me some stuff and said he'd be glad to show me around. I lay down for a nap, I get about 1.5 hours in and then....  Some rude ass stupid French dudes come in and start talking and yapping loudly. I mumble "for real shut up" bear backs me up and tells them to get out of here and let me sleep, I just rode down the east coast...haha. Ya bear!!

I wake from nap and hit Mallory square for the sunset party. Good times!! Lots of happy people, nice view, artists vendors.  Then I catch a meeting at anchors a weigh, it's kind of boring and I almost fall asleep but I meet some good guys afterwards. They point me towards the sports bar where I catch the phillies win! I talk to some girls from atlanta and we trade sunset pics. I ask them about snorkeling amd it sounds like its not worth it, its expensive and theybsee the same stuff ive seen in the glass bottom boat. Then onto wendys for a late night snack. I've been eating all day today and am still hungry! Something is weird!?

Now onto the port to watch the Disney magic ship sail off at 1am. It's quiet down here and lit up nicely. This ship is massive! Not just a cruise ship but a mega cruise ship! Wow! This is going to be something. Then I'll catch a pedi cab home for a good night of sleep. Tomorrow I wake up and get to see my parents! Amazing! I'm so looking forward to seeing them pull up and the look on my moms face! I guarantee she will start crying for no reason as this happens alot! Hahah. God I love her, thank you for my parents. I would probably not be here if it wasn't for their persistent tolerance and love for me, putting up with my crap. But I've got to tell ya some of the best things in my life has come against the advice of my parents. So maybe sometimes momma doesn't know best, as I remember her pleading with me to not take this trip!...haha. Love them so much though!!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, thanks for the advertisement! I am a lil late reading your last post, but read them all and liked it.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete