Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Beautiful scenic A1A

My ride today was tremendous!!!  Me David and Samantha kayaked this morning right after we watched the sun rise. Then I ate some leftover pancakes and Sam made me a sandwich for the road!

I take off and they all take a ton of pictures of me, you know Asians and their cameras!..haha   I've got a nice wind pushing me along and a nice bikelane on floridas beautiful scenic A1A. This ride is in the top five for sure! Ocean views, mansions, piers, boats, green plant life, wildlife, birds, not many cars it's got it all. I know when it's a good ride because I find myself taking lots of pictures. I also know it's only 66 miles and I knock off over 20 the first hour so I slow the pace and take my time checking out little parks, looking at beaches, watching windsurfers, pulling off to talk with friends on the phone. It's nice taking my time! About 3:00 winds shift as I'm noticing this to be a pattern and make for a tougher finish. 

I passed through st lucie, and fort pierce was a really nice town I could have spent more time in. I ride through hobe sound and a man walking by stops me and asks where I've been riding from. We chat and I ask him if there is a subway around. He points me in the right direction and I get my 5$ footlong fix. Then it's only about 5 miles down to the state park. I haven't heard much about the park, I just know that it does have camping sites. I sneak into a side gate and eventually get approached by a ranger. He asks me what I'm doing here, I said looking for the ranger station. So he points me in the right direction. I get to the campsites and they suck!!! Theybare all way out in the open WTF!! The wind is whipping through so bad there is no way I could set my tent up!, forget it I'm not gonna even try! There is no cover anywhere around!!!!  Fahhhh!!!!  I head to the bathrooms to shower up and weigh my options. The bathrooms are all nice and new! I shower in the large handicap stall and notice a pretty wide shower bench outside the shower..hmmm??  I shower up and check the winds outside, yup they are still atrocious! Shower bench it is then. I unroll my mattress pad and sleeping bag, bring all my gear inside the stall and lock the door. I can do this why not? It's better then jail I tell myself, although it sure does remind me of it. Hard concrete bench, lights on all night and that buzzing noise all night never letting up. I know how to deal with this though I have experience! I roll up toilet paper and shove it in my ears, then I tie my shirt to my head to cover my eyes from the light pollution. Tonights gonna be a good night! At least I don't have to setup and disassemble my tent, that saves some time.

I'm out of here first crack of light, this place sucks! Good news just in though, I talked to Philly josh's friend ant in ft lauderdale and I can stay there. So ant gives me the address and I map it out. Yes! Only 60 to ride tomorrow! I have no idea what this house is like though, I think it's like a halfway/boarding house for recovering junkies so that should provide some excellent stories to tell. 

Well I'm out safe and sound it's been another god given blessed day on this planet and I'm truly grateful for all of it including sleeping in a shower stall.

1 comment:

  1. Truly more entertaining and insightful than the world of jenks!

    ReplyDelete