Monday, September 20, 2010

To charleston

So I had some great meditation on the moonlight myrtle beach last night. It was very peaceful out there and I was happy to be alone in communication with the universe.

I shoved out of camp very early today, I was riding by 7:30. I knew I had alot of miles to cover and I wanted to get most of them done before the blaring afternoon sun. Some if today's ride highlights were, tons of butterflies, real loggers coming from a paper mill, straw hat stands with the weavers at work, stillness, quietness, the sound of my bike humming, tailwinds.

I'm always asked when I chat with people why I'm riding, what's my cause? I was talking to a guy at krispy kreme while I ordered 2 donuts and a coffee. He asked me how far I've been riding. When I told him 700 miles and 12 days his eyes boggled around in his head. He told me that he was going to ride his bike to work tomorrow! If I inspired that guy then right then I decided my cause! To inspire people to be healthy, dream big, ride a bike and save money, try something new, reach new goals. And think about the possibility of the ripple effect, his cousin might be inspired by him and do the same thing. Or maybe he doesn't follow through and ride the bike but he is now aware that something like this is possible.

So charleston is a wonderful place. I took a wrong turn getting here and rode through the north, it reminded me of north philly and I remember Jimmy telling me stay out of the north as I'm already riding through it. But I'm staying in phalli's equivalent society hill, where there is seriously old houses with major old world charm, some are huge and some are petite and quaint but 2 never the same.

I walk to the waters edge and through battery park, ya they have one just like NYC. The houses I see are unbelievable! Then I walk uptown and get a double decker BBQ sandwich at Jim and nicks it was crazy good! Complete with collard greens and cheddar cheese muffins. Then I stroll through the university and wander to a famous pastry shop wildflower but it's closed. So I make my way back home and watch it's always sunny in Philadelphia DVDs. I call it an early night because I'm pretty exhausted from my early start and 100 mile ride.

My roomates Liz and Adrianna wake me up coming home about 1:30 from the bar a little tipsy but it's all good they whip together some food and I gladly participate in the festivities, they are funny. And couchsurfing.com really does work! This is proof, they are really friendly hosts and are taking me to the beach today and Adrianna is always so helpful!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, E-Rocket! Greetings from Philthy. Just got caught up on the past week of your travels. They're really fun to read. I'm amazed that after all this riding you still have time and energy left to reflect and write. You've definitely inspired me through your trip and the things you've experienced. Aside from making me second-guess my daily routine and consider taking risks (which I am highly averse to), you've also reminded me that the evidence of a Higher Power is found when I do what is needed to clarify my vision. Thanks, man. I look forward to reading about your next adventure. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete