Sunday, September 12, 2010

Along walk in the rain....

Well it was more like a drizzle. But something happened to me while walking on the deserted boardwalk. I had a moment where I came to realize where exactly I am and just how I got there. I'm 350 miles from home by myself, with only my next destination ahead on my mind. I arrived here by my bicycle the same bike i ride around my neighborhood for the last 6 years and here it sits in virginia beach. Plus it cost me nothing to arrive here, no gas, no plane no train just pedal power. This isn't your ordinary way of travel but I swear to you I have not a worry in the world! Today on that boardwalk I've reached a place filled with maximum grattitude, peacefulness, contentedness, joy, excitement, amazement!

It started this morning when a friend from new York city texted me an AA meeting schedule in va beach. I went to a 10am meeting. There was this guy Jim celebrating a year of the good life! He was with his wife kierston and I asked them for a list back to my hotel 12 blocks away. Before I left the car we had a good talk about life he asked me for my info and I gave him the blog link and he also demanded I give him an autograph...haha. Stepping out of that car it hit me how mofo blessed I am. To be me with everything I've got. And I'm not just talking about this trip just in general. I challenge you right now to find 10 things your greateful for and if you do how easy it will be to find 10 more.

I then walked into a sports bar for lunch and some NFL action. I met David who was sitting right next to me and use to play ball for the redskins. We chatted a bit and he was playing text game with a "hot chic" from last night who he met wasted at the club. Listening to it brings me back to my old life of insanity and reminds me how better off I am without it all.

So today I spend chilling around the hostel resting up. I meet my roomate Robbie a cool kid from England. Tonights his last night here on the U.S. And he is spending it with a girl he met here in Virginia beach. Isn't it way more interesting meeting people and seeing what they are up to then worrying about my own life.

Tomorrow my ride starts with a call to cape hatteras national seashore to see how often the ferries are running. I was thinking about asking them how to go about my ride. But most conservists say you can't do it it's too hard and the roads don't connect. But the info I got from ray at the bike shop is what I'm relying on. Ride straight down into the cape, past a small town, follow the pine needle path into the wilderness for 10 miles. When it ends you will come out into a redneck town that doesn't have roads only sand roads with 4x4 vehicles. There you will look for somebody and tell them your story. Here is the risky part. I need to ask them for a lift 10 miles down the sand to connect me to route 12. If this part happens I'm home free! I'm not even gonna mention plan B because I'm thinking positive that plan A will happen.

Once I connect back to 12 I'm in for the ride of a lifetime 100 miles of outerbank beaches relying on two ferries to connect me back to the mainland. I'm thinking about making this a 2 day trip with camping out one night in the state park. I'm freaking thrilled right now for tomorrow morning! What's beautiful about this is there is now way you could have planned this from Philly. No map would have showed you the pine needle trail. And no where on the Internet did it say go to the town of sand roads and ask a redneck in a pickup for a lift through town. People are incredible, more importantly or even bigger is God who will strategically place the elements of information and the right people to deliver them to you when you step out and live by that reliance on faith!

After that it's on to Wilmington NC to see a friend I met at icypaa in NYC. Then Myrtle beach. Right now Florida isn't even in the planning stages I'm just gonna take it like 1 or 2 rides at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Stay well and safe; you will because you appear to know what A.A. has been suggesting for all these years: "A Higher Power IS doing for us, what we can not do for ourselves". Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude list, check! I can be grateful for everything and anything.
    It feels so good to read you Eric! I can't wait t read about the charming redneck who will have given yu a lift to your destination.
    You're right, forget about the destination it's the freaking ride that matters!

    ReplyDelete