Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Just a 60 mile trip..

So a little 60 mile joint this morning will get me to my next destination at ocrakoke island. I'm pretty sure that's where and after meeting and talking to my camper neighbor it's confirmed. I saw this guy roll in late last night and then get a chance to chat with him this morning. My man is high as a kite and his eyes are hardly opened, he has the biggest reddest fluffiest beard I've ever seen, and more mosquito bites than I've ever seen on one human being. He tells me that ocrakoke is real chill and there is spirits on the beach that you can feel, partly because Blackbeard was killed there. That all kinda sounds believable even coming from this stoned dude so I'm in!

Before I leave the campsite I get stopped by another camper who is curious of my rig and asks where I've been coming from. I love talking to people who understand the power of a journey. He is awed by the length of my trip and we talk bike stuff for a bit. He tells me the 3 mile bridge I have to cross today has no shoulder and on the other side there is a couple inches of standing water from the rains a couple days ago. Oh crap I say and head off not thrilled for this encounter. He asks me if there is anything I need, like a ride somewhere or food just let him know. I will always remember how people stretch themselves out to help somebody in a trip like this. That will forever be with me and in turn I will forever offer that to others I may encounter in the future. Great lesson learned.

Well I find the 3 mile bridge is beautiful and has a 3 foot shoulder and the roadway ahead is merely wet, no standing water. Moral of the story is don't believe it till you see it.

What I do believe is I've encountered the fierce cape winds I've only heard about today. That 60 mile trip took twice as long and was a grueling ride at some points with much cursing involved, a little reliance on God and lots of water we got it done.  As I pull into ocracoke a local says, "wow not a good day to be biking those winds are strong today" no kidding buddy but at least it doesn't make me feel like such a wuss if even he said they are strong.

It's nice riding without a shirt because it's so hot down here I haven't rode with one in a couple days. And if it's up to me I'll never put one on. Most of you know where I stand on the shirt policy. It's my god given right as an option in public to have to wear one so there fore when it's wicked hot outside why wear one?

So halfway through my ride today I'm super hungry and stop for lunch. I pull into a gas station and there is a restaurant next to it. I look at the menu and don't see much but contemplate a 15$ crab cake sandwich?? I choose option B a box of poptarts from the gas station for 3$. Clearly the better pick and saving 15$ made me smile for an hour!

Along the way I peak my head in at some beaches along the cape, very far from civilization and only a few beach goers. These beaches were incredible, man I wanted to spend the day there so much uninterrupted all natural beauty in there.

I finally arrive at the free ferry to ocracoke it's a nice scenic 40 minute ride. I settle into the air condition cushy lounge plug my phone in and sit back and chill. I've earned it!

So the first place I stop in ocracoke sells, beer, wine, food, campsites, basically whatever you need. I take a turkey wrap, carrot cake, Gatorade, waterproofing spray for my tent and a campsite outback. Onestop shopping!

The guys staying right next to me are from a town I ride through called kill devils hill. One guy is a chef and they invite me to join for dinner. I can't say no. We eate corn on the cob, baked potatoes, spareribs with chipolte, brown sugar, blueberry wine glaze....outstanding  Good guys we talked by the fire until late in the morning, laughing and making fun of each other.

I go to bed with earphones in and sleep like a rock, the best sleep I've ever had in the tent. Until I wake up cooking in that thing with the sun beaming in me.

I haven't had cellphone service in a day or so. I'm heading off the island and pass through the main town of ocracoke. It's beautiful this is certainly a place I would come back to and spend a week. I almost dint want to leave but it's onward! I board a ferry to cedar island and have no idea what I'm doing tonight. Without cellphone service I wasn't able to plan ahead so I'm hoping to just figure it out as I get my signal back.

No comments:

Post a Comment