Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 2

This just keeps getting better really! And it was already awesome. I woke up kinda wet from condensation in my tent and then kinda had to sneak out of the shed factory behind which I was staying because there was a pickup moving equipment close by but this is an adventure and it's mine so why not. I woke up super startled because I thought a plane was crashing into me. Well it wasn't crashing but it was a farmer dusting his crops, and was actually really cool. I rode 20 miles and pulled over at a produce stand to buy me some oeaches for breakfast. Good call. Then onto lewes Delaware for a little coffee shop action. Found
The place I was looking for accidentally and what a find it was. I got a puffin muffin which is a croissant crust with a blueberry muffin inside it. The owner was such a nice lady she was busy roasting beans and hustling around but stopped to help me. Some lady came in and gave the owner flowers. She explained "you probably don't remember me but one day I came in for coffee and didn't have enough money, you said just take it but I say these flowers are now for you." that blew me away.

I then talked to a couple people and they convinced me to go to cape hatteras!! So I'm going.

Back on the road 30 more miles to ocean city, I pass through rehobeth, Dewey, Bethany, then ocean city. I really took my time today for some reason probably cause I started out early. Then I hit a Starbucks charge the iPods, relax on a sofa (what a luxury) wash my face, talk to two old guys. They tell me it's 55 miles to chincoteague and it doesn't connect to assateague. That's bad news because I was hoping to be to chincoteague tonight. I have 3 hours to ride 55 miles, it's kinda windy already...forget it!, I would have been pissed off the whole way!

So because I'm easy breezy I decide to go to assateague which is only 10 away. It turns out to be the right call! Amazing views as I'm crossing a bike only bridge. I see the ponies already. Check in to a camp site and hit the beach! Oh and get to shower with hot water (another luxury)

So tonight I take it easy, fortunately my campsite is right on the beach, waves crashing with a breeze blowing through my tent, again this life is not bad.

But tomorrow my goal is to ride 130 miles into Virginia beach! That's big for me but I hear the winds are out of the east and it is doable as long as I get out there at the crack, but we'll see.

3 comments:

  1. So inspiring Eric. Loved the lady with the flowers story. And that muffin ?! Sounds amazing :) Hope you enjoyed that nice camping site. Love reading you everyday! When is your goal date to arrive in Miami ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so thrilled to discover your blog today! I will read it every day for two months. It is, indeed, inspiring. I like how you seem grateful for everything and don't take anything for granted.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!...both of you are awesome!! I expect to arrive in Miami somewhere in early October late September

    ReplyDelete